Monday, February 2, 2009

One long week


John and his fellow students from Ave Maria who participated in the Sate court competition. John took 3rd place(yeah John)!! There were about 50 contenders from seven different law schools in Michigan.

I've been trying to get Miles interested in coloring for months now and he's finally enjoying it. He doesn't like crayons though, he prefers pens. So I went out and bought washable, scented pens. Well, while we were coloring, and without thinking, I put the pen to my nose to smell it (why I felt the need to smell a cherry scented pen, I don't know) so of course Miles had to smell the pen too.

Miles loves his trains. We play with his toy trains, we watch train movies, and we look at train books that we checked out from the library.


This past week was one of the longest weeks I've had in a while for a couple reasons....

Reason number one: Miles doesn't think he needs naps any more (and if he does take one it's usually been for an hour) and, he thinks his bed time should be when mommy and daddy go to bed. John had a really busy week full of late nights getting ready for his state court competition. One night Miles just would not fall asleep. So I thought I'd try an experiment to see just how late Miles could last until he crashed. Well, dad got home about 12:30 am and Miles was still going strong. We won't be doing that again for the sake of my sanity.

Reason number two: Up until this week I've been handling the frigid weather and staying home most days without a car pretty well. I don't know what hit me this week but I felt like I was having a panic attack that lasted three days!! It was horrible. Thankfully I have a wonderful husband who could see me struggling and he came to my rescue. After his competition on Saturday, he really stepped it up around the house which allowed me to have some down time. Some good news about the weather though... yesterday (Sunday) it was 38 degrees and sunny! On our drive to church that afternoon (we only live 1.5 miles away) I saw one family snow shoeing in the park and another family making a giant snow man in their front yard. There must have been half a dozen people out walking their dogs and for the first time in two months I've actually seen black pavement on the roads in our neighborhood instead of snow packed white roads. I have to admit, the snow packed white roads were much prettier. In fact, it was so warm outside that John decided to scrape the snow off the barbecue and grill hot dogs and salmon. Yes my friends, spring fever has arrived in Michigan. This Wednesday it's supposed to get cold again (13 for the high and 3 for the low) but Friday should be sunny and back up into the thirties. I may even put on my bathing suit and catch some rays:)

4 comments:

Rookie Blog said...

That's funny. Rook doesn't think he needs naps either. Until it's 5pm and he falls asleep wherever he is and then won't go to sleep at night. Love it. Congratulations to John. Wow. That's so great.
Sorry but the weather down here is 60's and so nice. I don't think I could survive staying at home with no car in Michigan...you are a champ. Rook is potty training...I'm trying to get a fun video to post...hopefully it will work.

MariePhotographie said...

Wow! I don't think I could survive that kind of weather. And I know I wouldn't survive if my kids stopped taking their naps. Way to hang in there! I'm glad John is taking good care of you! Miss you!

Kandis Mortensen said...

way to go John! That's awesome! I LOVE Miles' haircut--he looks so grown up! And Wendy, I love the singing! We miss you guys!
(2 ps's: We're not moving--yes! And sorry John--but I don't have your hat! Do you need me to buy you one and ship it?)

Audrey said...

I hear you with the naps. Kate refused them too and it is so hard. You are amazing, no sun, no car, I would have lost my mind months ago.